Sunday, August 25, 2019

August 25, 2019 - A Bushel of Dirt

The road was long today.  I knew a short break would help to make a difference, so I stopped and made a small fire to cook a couple of sausages I had brought with me.  It’s a fairly primitive affair that includes a very small fire—just enough to cook—and some meat on a whittled stick.  Pans and utensils would simply be too heavy to carry, and water already weighs too much.  Resting for a while and setting the burden down temporarily always helps, as long as I don’t rest too long.

Ashes to ashes.
So I gathered some wood, really just some twigs since it wasn’t going to be a big fire at all, and I got down to business.  I’ve done this more times than I can count, and so my mind gets to wandering . . . and I don’t always pay attention at such times.  Well, my hands were dirty from sweat, gathering the wood, and then starting the fire.  Not to mention greasy sausages.  I figured I’d just clean up with some water afterward, and then I burnt my thumb on a seared sausage from sheer carelessness.  That, and I was so hungry I couldn’t wait for things to cool down.

Out of reflex, I immediately placed my dirty thumb in my mouth, and as I said I was so darn hungry that the dirt tasted pretty good to me, probably due to the grease.  I could not have cared less about the dirt and ash.  They were like seasoning.  Well, I had to laugh my head off about that.  And just then a memory was jarred, as often happens at such times.  I remembered my father telling me when I was very young, “Ya gotta eat a bushel of dirt before ya die.”  He always said that.  “Ya gotta eat a bushel of dirt before ya die.”

He was a hard man, a very hard man, who died young when I was very young myself.  He lived through a few wars, both in the outside world and inside his mind, and he was usually pretty distant.  He didn’t talk much and he wasn’t around much, and my memories of him are not pristine and perfect.  But every now and then, I still think of him.

I finished up the sausages and put out the fire.  I used some water to rinse my hands and face off, and my wet bandana told a tale of someone who could have used a bit of soap just then.  No matter.  I had places to go and things to do.  I grabbed my pack, slung it over my shoulders, and tightened the straps.  I put on my hat and started walking.  “I’m working on that bushel, Dad,” I said, “I just hope I haven’t filled it up all the way yet.”